From official national events and cultural celebrations to arts, music and sports-related festivals Nairobi hosts numerous major festivals.
In Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya and one of the most developed and major cities in not only Kenya but also in Africa, you will be literally overwhelmed by the sheer number of festivals and celebrations that take place here.
Festivals held in Kenya are by and large not only held to foster sporting competition among various players and to award the best, but they are also social-cultural events that bring together people from diverse cultural backgrounds to share and exchange their experiences and ideas and contribute for the social good of the society.
Safari Sevens Rugby Tournament
- An annual festival held in June at the Impala Club situated in Karen along Nairobi’s Ngong Road.
- It is an international rugby tournament that involves seven rugby players on both sides.
KCB Safari Rally
- An event mainly sponsored by Kenya Commercial Bank and held in April.
- A 700km heart- throbbing motor race that begins and ends in Nairobi
- Held every year, this event features adrenaline-rushing wheel drive through the roughest possible terrain in the Kenyan bush with the aim of raising funds towards the Rhino Arch Charitable Trust, meant to protect the endangered black rhino in the Aberderes.
Kenya Open Golf Championship
- A festival held in April, it brings together the regional best in the sport of golf
Kenya Safari rally
- An annual two-day event held in July, it showcases the best persons in navigating Kenyan wild, rough and dusty terrain behind the wheels.
- The race climaxes in Nairobi amid pops of champagnes and cheers from both drivers and spectators
Nairobi Hood Hockey Festival
- Held in February at the City Park Hockey Stadium, this festival brings teams from varied Nairobi Neighborhoods such as Eastlands, Parklands, Westlands, Southlands and Ngong Road, etc.
Arts and Music-related Festivals
- A 3-day festival held in March at the National Museums, Nairobi.
- Draws artists from East African countries who exhibit varying works of arts, architectural designs, paintings and plays, etc.
Kenya Music Festival
- A 10-day event held in August at the Kenyatta International Conference Center.
- It converge musicians from all African countries in Nairobi, to compete and showcase their musical abilities.
North Sea Jazz Festival
- A popular jazz festival globally that brings stellar jazz talent into the city, held in March.
Kenya International Puppetry Festival
- Held in October, the festival exhibits indigenous types of puppet acts,
- An October event that entails exhibition of local foods, arts, sports and everything and anything Kenyan culture.
Blankets & Wine
- A monthly Afro-based music event
- On the 1st Sunday of the month, audiences gather in picnic-styled settings at Leisure Gardens in Nairobi and enjoy Afro music.
- Held in March, it features a diverse repertoire, from Jazz tunes to fusions of ballet.
Kenya International Film Festival
- Held in October, the festival hosts diverse African films and film makers.
Kenya Fashion Week
- Held in June at Nairobi’s Sarit Center, the event is an expo-style fashion gala.
Kenya Tourism Week
- A one-week September event that marks Kenya’s tourism week.
- It provides an opportunity for tourists to savor Kenya’s diverse culture, wildlife, arts, music and food.
Kenya International Trade Exhibition
- An annual event held in June, it showcases both domestic and international brands.
Sigana International Storytelling Festival
- An annual event held in July, it brings together proficient story tellers from across the world.
Concours de Elegance
- A world-class motor show exhibiting vintage machines that is held in September.
Kwani Literary Festival
- Held in August, it entails a variety of activities that encompass signings and readings from different African authors.